Tuesday, December 06, 2005

POEMS POEMS #15

A Minor Bird
by Robert Frost

I have wished a bird would fly away,
And not sing by my house all day;

Have clapped my hands at him from the door
When it seemed as if I could bear no more.

The fault must partly have been in me.
The bird was not to blame for his key.

And of course there must be something wrong
In wanting to silence any song.


This poem is pretty short, but it brings out some important things that we learned in poetry. The first thing that I noticed was the the change in the speaker's tone. The tone went from annoyance to almost regret that he was annoyed. The change seems to occur in the third stanza when the speaker takes a different perspective of the singing bird that makes noise and bothers him. He then admits that perhaps it isn't the bird's fault. The last stanza brings out a lot about the speaker in itself. He states that "there must be something wrong in wanting to silence any song". It seems that he has a certain appreciation for the arts including singing and music. The lines bring out a deeper and more thoughtful side of the speaker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home