Saturday, December 03, 2005

Last Night I Dreamed of Chicken

Last Night I Dreamed of Chickens

Last night I dreamed of chickens,
there were chickens everywhere,
they were standing on my stomach,
they were nesting in my hair,
they were pecking at my pillow,
they were hopping on my head,
they were ruffling up their feathers
as they raced about my bed.

They were on the chairs and tables,
they were on the chandeliers,
they were roosting in the corners,
they were clucking in my ears,
there were chickens, chickens, chickens
for as far as I could see...
when I woke today, I noticed
there were eggs on top of me.

Jack Prelutsky

I think this poem doesn't really have much meaning behind it. It is meant to be amusing and funny. The author is describing a dream where massive amounts of chickens are running around his room and bed. He describes the enormous number of chickens using repetition at the beginning of every line. He starts off most of the lines using "they were" in order portray just how many chickens there were in his dream. He also uses repetition in the line "there were chickens, chickens, chicken. We find out however, that the chickens might not have just been a figment of the author's imagination because in the last line, he reveals that were eggs on top of him. This was very amusing to me and I thought it was pretty cute. I liked how the entire poem built up to that last line. The reader is supposed to be buying into this crazy dream being narrated by the author and finally we find out that it wasn't a dream at all. It was also clever how he revealed this to the reader in the final line. He uses eggs, and not feathers or an actual chicken because they were already used in the narration of the dream.

1 Comments:

Blogger MValentine said...

I agree with John and that there is supposed to be little meaning to the poem. I like how there is a repitition of "they were" in the poem over and over again. The chaos that is created in the poem adds movment throughout and brings life to the poem. The end is also interesting how it changes directions and the chaos has ended and it just states that there are eggs on top of him now.

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home