Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Eclipse by Richard Eberhart

I stood out in the open cold
To see the essence of the eclipse
Which was its perfect darkness.

I stood in the cold on the porch
And could not think of anything so perfect
As mans hope of light in the face of darkness.

Again I think that the shortness and simplicity of the poem heighten its effect on the reader because the reader is not bogged down in meaningless but beautiful images. Olny the essential images are used in this poem. I like the contrast of the light and the dark. I like the use of cold in this poem it really contrasts the beauty of the eclipse. I like how the last line of the poem links the eclipse to a higher idea, the idea of hope. Making hope be the image of light in the darkness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home