Monday, November 21, 2005

week 9 post 2

Metaphors
Sylvia Plath

I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.

I’ve read this poem before and I like it very much. It is what Sylvia Plath wrote when she was pregnant. The poem is very clever and funny. The number 9 is very important I this poem. There are 9 months in pregnancy, 9 lines in the poem, each line has 9 syllables, and the word pregnancy has 9 letters in it. This is a poem of metaphors about the way she looks during her pregnancy. I am not sure whether she is happy about it or not. I think that she is regretful of her pregnancy because of the last line “there’s no getting off”. She writes in a way that seems likes she’s trapped and not something that she is looking forward, rather something she is stuck with. She compares herself with an elephant, a house, an watermelon, bread, and a purse. The baby becomes all of the important and precious things of the objects that she speaks of. The baby is the ivory of the elephant, the timbers of the house, the fruit inside the watermelon, the growing yeast of the bread, the money inside the purse. Everything that she describes has something valuable of growing in it which is metaphoric of the baby growing inside her

2 Comments:

Blogger brianne fong said...

Whoa! I totally didn't see all of that hidden underneath the words of the poem. I thought that Plath was simply just listing examples of metaphors that she was familiar with and the last line "there's no getting off" just referred to the fact that her list of metaphors can go on and on. But I like Naseem's interpretation a lot better. Great job again!

3:46 AM  
Blogger Danny said...

Reading this poem I never would have guessed that it was about pregnancy. I had alot of trouble interpretting what it was about. I thought perhaps it was just an open-ended riddle, but looking at it a second time after reading your commentary it's a pretty amazing poem. The images take on a whole new dimention.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home