Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Shimmer

Shimmer
by James Schuyler

The pear tree that last year
was heavy-laden this year
bears little fruit. Was
it that wet spring we had?
All the pear tree leaves
go shimmer, all at once. The
August sun blasts down
into the coolness from the
ocean. The New York Times
is on strike. My daily
fare! I'll starve! Not
quite. On my sill, balls
of twine wrapped up in
cellophane glitter. The
brown, the white and one
I think you'd call ecru.
The sunlight falls partly
in a cup: it has a blue
transfer of two boys, a
dog and a duck and says,
"Come Away Pompey." I
like that cup, half
full of sunlight. Today
you could take up the
tattered shadows off
the grass. Roll them
and stow them. And collect
the shimmerings in a
cup, like the coffee
here at my right hand.

This poem really caught my eye because the poem preceeding this one in the anthology has long lines and the poem looks very wide. I like how this poem is all about perspective and play on words as well as a lot of personification. The illustration and picture painted of the cup and sunlight is somewhat cliche, but not too cliche because it serves it's purpose well. the tattered shadows rolling off the grass is another great illustration. Also, because of the line breaks and effective punctuation, i feel that the entire poem is connected well together and the reader can go all the way from nature (beginning of the poem) to a coffee cup in one's hand (end of the poem) and not feel that they're reading two completely different poems.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Park said...

I really liked the images and personification used in this poem. I also think that the long, wide, shape of the poem is supposed to represent the shape of the pear tree mentioned in the first line.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home