Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Lake Isle of Innisfree by W.B. Yeats

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.


I found this poem online and I found it to be very interesting because of the language that the speaker uses throughout the poem. The entire poem seems to be panting a picture for the reader, possibly even describing a picture that has already been painted. As we have studied these types of poems in class, it seems as if this poem describes a picture that contains scenery as well as people that are in the picture. I enjoy reading this poem because of the descriptive words that the speaker uses. Phrases such as "midnight's all a glimmer," and "lake water lapping," just allows the reader to engage into the poem and the overall picture that it creates. The poem also contains many incidents where the speaker talks about himself, such as "I," and I feel that is a very powerful way to allow the speaker to be connected with the poem itself. The natural aspect of the poem is also taken into account for when reading the whole poem because it creates a different effect on the scenery as well as the tone of the poem. When the speaker talks about the hive for the honey-bee and the crickets singing, the reader can picture those animals and those objects out in the picture that they are painting from the description. I enjoy how the poem allows the reader to be taken into the picture and the overall tone of just a calm and gentleness is given.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Park said...

I really liked the imagery in this poem. It reminds me of a very serene night where the secret world of the insects becomes alive, and the humans are fast asleep.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home