Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Intrusion

Intrusion
by Denise Levertov

After I had cut off my hands
and grown new ones

something my former hands had longed for
came and asked to be rocked.

After my plucked out eyes
had withered, and new one's grown

something my former eyes had wept for
came asking to be pitied.

For some reason, I felt that this poem had a lot of poetic/litterature and Biblical allusion. The reference to cutting one's hands off refers to one sinning and "plucking one's eyes out" reminds me of the character Oedipus. I like it when poems have allusions because if one understands the parallel it helps them better understand the emotion and meaning behind what the poet is trying to convey in their poem. Also, the lines are so spread apart and it's easy on the readers eyes and allows them to better focus on each set of two lines as opposed to reading something that's more condensed. This poem is a good example of a narrative with figurative meaning, various allusions, yet clear meaning: when something "intrudes" into our lives, we do our best to learn from them, and feel blessed with what took its place and be thankful for what had formerly intruded into our lives.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

This is a pretty abstract poem, but that just makes it more interesting. The metaphors are difficult to understand. I'm not sure how those allusions help to understand the poem either. At least it sounds cool.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home