Sunday, November 06, 2005

If I Cant Stop One Heart from Breaking by Emily Dickinson

If I Cant Stop One Heart from Breaking by Emily Dickinson

If I can stop one Heart from breaking
I shall not live in vain
If I can ease one Life the Aching
Or cool one Pain

Or help one fainting Robin
Unto his Nest again
I shall not live in Vain.

This is sucha short poem written by Emily Dickinson. I believe that she probably wrote this poem in a time of sadness. Either she felt sad for someone who may be suffering or maybe because she wished she had done somthing to help someone before and maybe was unable to. the speaker wants to help in any way that she can be of help to the world and society. Her use of nature as she mentions the robin creates a cry to feel useful in this world and to not live thorugh a life of selfishness. If the speaker would to live without any being any help to anyone she would feel that her life was a waste--it would have no true purpose. From her first line, I believe that the poem was written thinking of a love one. The speaker seems to be justifying herself for not letting herself break this person's heart and hurting them. So if she would to not live in vain, she will prevent anyone she could from pain and suffering. Just as she would if she would encounter a strnger in need of help or a bird out of its nest. It wouldnt be wrong to do the same for her love one, no matter what their situation is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sevanna Isanians said...

I agree in the fact that this poem was probably written in pain and uncertainty. The reader can feel the pain the speakers heart and the discussions that the speaker has to face. Short because of the uneasiness of the situation.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home