Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Fire and Ice by Robet Frost

Robert Frost - Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

I picked this poem because I remember reading it and analyzing its context in high school. Honestly I don’t remember what we agreed to about its meaning. Yet, reading it today I got a very fascinating meaning out of it. The first thing I noticed was how Robert Frost utilizes the two words Ice and Fire multiple times throughout the poem. Fire and Ice are very opposites of each other and often used to make to emphasize the strong differences between two things. So like he says the world will end either in fire or ice. This I believe refers to fact that nobody really knows how the world will end. But yet it doesn’t really matter in what way it ends. Robert Frost then says that if he had the choice he would prefer fire, yet, the thing is that we don’t have a choice. And if we had to die twice he would then choose ice. But then again we only have one life. I believe the main point behind the poem is that we should worry about how the world is going to end or how we are going to die. We should be living our lives and worrying about that because we only have one life to live, not two. So is not really about the end of the world but about our fascination with this that keeps us from thinking our present which is the best way to live.

1 Comments:

Blogger Naseem said...

wow i really like your analysis of fire and ice and how they are opposites. i didnt think about how it could relate to they mystery of how life will end.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home