Friday, November 25, 2005

Country Stars

The near sighted child has taken off her glasses
and come downstairs to be kissed goodnight.
She blows on a black windowpane until it's white.
Over the apple trees a great bear passes
but she puts her own construction on the night.

Two cities, a chemical plant, and clotted cars
breathe our distrust of darkness on the air,
clouding the pane between us and the stars.
But have no fear, or only proper fear: the bright watchers are still there.
-William Meradith

This poem's theme seemed to be of pollution and a world that is becoming dangerous. It first starts off with innocence in the child making a window foggy by breathing on it. Since the child turns the windowpane from black to white, I was thinking that this was an idea of good battling evil. The good is the innocence of the child and the bad is the dark and cold of the window and the world outside. The last two lines of the first stanza confused me, because I am not sure what the bear is referring to. The possibility of a bear being in a city like atmosphere is highly unlikely, so perhaps it is a car or a person. The next line reads that, "She puts her own construction on the night, so I think the girl uses her own imagination to create a different image of the bear.
In the second stanza, there is much more refernce to the polution in our world. There are cities, cars, and a chemical plant that all create smog. The imagery that made this a very good poem was, "Clouding the pane between us and the stars." It was interesting to think of the smog creating a blurry window for us to cloud our vision of the stars.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie Mong said...

At first, when I read this poem, your interpretation of pollution struck me as awkward, but now that i read it again, i get it. IT does seem like the world in the poem has become way to contaminated with bad things for a child to live.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Danny said...

I like the way she clouds the window pane inside while the pollution clouds the air outside. Interesing contrast.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Esther said...

I've analyzed this poem as well and the analysis of the pollution that you came up with was different from mine. However, I do see your point in how effective the pollution is to the child in the poem. Your interpretation could be correct and I could be just interpreting the poem wrong. To me though, I understand that the pollution aspect of the poem is important to the overall meaning, but I don't see if as effective as you do. I simply just see it as the scenery that the speaker paints for the reader to see what the child is seeing. Yet, I can still understand your point of view because when rereading the poem, words such as "distrust of darkness" seem to identify with your analysis.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home