Thursday, November 03, 2005

Alone by Edgar Allen Poe

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were - I have not seen
As others saw - I could not bring
My passions from a common spring -
From the same source I have not taken
My sorry - I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone -
And all I lov'd - I lov'd alone -
Then - in my childhood - in the dawn
Of a most stormy life - was drawn
From ev'ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still -
From the torrent, or the fountain -
From the red cliff of the mountain -
From the sun that 'round me roll'd
In its autumn tint of gold -
From the lightning in the sky
As it pass'd flying by -
From the thunder, and the storm -
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view -


I enjoy reading this poem because it brings in many different aspects of being alone. At first, the first couple of lines are clear in what the speaker is trying to say, but as the poem proceeds, it becomes a little bit more confusing. The title of the poem seems to identify with what the poem is trying to say. In the beginning of the poem, when the speaker talks about how he/she does not know how it is since his/her childhood, it conveys a sense of loneliness and a tone of sadness thorughout the poem. When the speaker says that "all I loved, I loved alone," it shows that he/she is truly alone. The last line in the poem is quite strange because it kind of throws off the whole poem. When the speaker says "of a demon in my view," it kind of brings the poem into a different person's perspective. It could be possible that the poem is coming from someone who is looking upon life in an evil way. The way that the poem is constructed, being that there are no stanzas and that it is just one straight stanza, is a different way of publishing it. It kind of brings in a sense that the speaker is trying to show that all of these things that go on are connected in a way. Even though the last couple of lines throw off the beginning of the poem, it seems that there is a connection because of the poem being constucted in just one stanza. I also enjoy the different words the speaker uses in order to paint the picture that he/she does. The numerous "-" also add effect to the poem in the sense that it brings out the structure and the emphasis of the lines of the poem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home