Tuesday, October 11, 2005

week 3 post 2

Hold My Hand
Rachel Gladstone-Gelman

I know you are there
I know you are here
I know you are with me
Hold my hand.

I feel you in my heart
I feel you in my mind
I feel you in my presence
Hold my hand.

We are two from the same being
We are two of a nucleus
We are two in a moment
Hold my hand.
I am my own person
But I am not alone
I am with you, mother
Hold my hand.

In the beginning I wasn’t sure whom the speaker was talking about in this poem. The last line makes me think that it’s her mother, which seems really obvious and extremely sad. I think that she is referring to her mother who is either passing away or is already dead and the strong connection that they have with each other. This poem is from the heart and makes the reader feel the pain helplessness the speaker is feeling. Though she seems that she is strong and has that connection with her mother, I feel that she is also reassuring herself by repeating it over and over. I like that it is simple and straightforward yet not dense but very emotional.
Naseem Arjmand

1 Comments:

Blogger Sevanna Isanians said...

I agree with your comments on this poem. It is simple yet very powerful, full of raw human emotion. I like this poem because of its sad depressing nature. The speaker in this poem is reaching out to an absent mother, either because she is not there in person or in spirit. Powerful selection.

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home