Sunday, October 09, 2005

Week 2 poem 1

The Eagle by: Alfred Tennyson

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
close to the sun in lonely lands,
Pinged with the azure world, he stands.

The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;
He watches from his mountain walls,
And like a thunderbold he falls.

I really like the imagery of this poem. When I read it I can tell that the author has great pride in the eagle. The imagery used to describe this majestic creature is really vivid and makes for a great poem that almost comes out of the words and into your mind. I like the strog use of words like clasps that give a sense of the strength of the eagles tight gripping claws. and when the author writes, "wrinkled sea beneath him crawls" , you get a sense of where the eagle is truly at home. High above the rest of the world. The waves of the sea and all else almost cowering before the eagle. Pride is a good way to describe how this bird must feel as he stands on his "crag", another vivid word. the last part, simmilar to my first poem shows the spped of this animal. Compared to as a thunderbold, which goes the speed of light. this is not to be taken lightly and shows a sense that we all see the eagle as a strong animal, and the eagle knows this as well. It's almost as if it is a bit cocky living high above all else. This poem is very gracefull though and really catches my eye and lets my imagination run wild.

1 Comments:

Blogger brianne fong said...

If the title weren't "The Eagle" I don't know whether or not I would have figured it out from the imagery. On the other hand, perhaps that was done intentionally. I think that the poem can be on a larger scale a metaphor for how people should see the world and take risks in their life. Like the eagle, they should fall, not to thier death, just from the higher places and in one's deepest sense of humility, enjoy life for what it is in the rawest sense.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home