Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Watermelons by Charles Simic

Green Buddhas
On the fruit stand.
We eat the smile
And spit out the teeth.

This poem just tickles me. It makes me feel inexplicably happy when I read it because even thought the content, (if you think about spitting out someone else's teeth) is kind of grotesque, but the imagery somehow has the opposite effect on me and is quite pleasing. I really actually appreciate how the poet titled this poem "Watermelons" to just let the reader know what it is he's talking about. Sometimes it's fun to figure out more cryptic poems, and I think the close reader could figure out that the poet was talking about watermelons without reading the title, but I can just instantly enjoy the poem this way with the title being "Watermelons." I think this poem has such a positive effect on me because in such few words, I can see the images of Watermelons being peaceful centers of happiness, and when we eat them, we can possibly gain that enlightment as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Niel said...

I think this poem is fun to read because it presents a neat relationship, a watermelon to a green Budha. It is simple yet entertaining and I think it is very original. The poem could be very simple and trite, but the author did a good job of avoiding that.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home