Monday, October 03, 2005

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood,
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

This poem is incredible to me. At this current time in my life, it speaks so much to me. Obviously, I am taking the poem to be a metaphor for life, and the choices that we make in planning our future. It is the symbolism of being at a crossroads in one's life and having to make a decision one way or another that will affect all future decisions made. I really like how the traveler apprehensively looks down one path to try to see where it will go ultimately, but can only see so far. Whenever making a decision in one's life it's hard to tell how it really will affect you in the long run. You kinda have to just read into it as much as you can, and make that decision and hope for the best. Then there is the choice between the road less traveled, and the safer, more-traveled path. I like that the path that is less traveled is "grassy and wanted wear". The road less-traveled seems more inviting in an adventurous sense, "the better claim". I can relate this personally to the fork in the road of life that I am currently at, deciding a major, and more so, deciding what I choose to do with the rest of my life, being fully aware that the decisions and choices I make right now are the determining factors.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sevanna Isanians said...

I love Robert Frost, he is a great American poet. This poem is a classic poem seen throughout many textbooks. This poem, although known to many and often used as a cliché has so much meaning embedded in such a plain metaphor. The raod less traveled has more room for individual identity and growth. Live a convential life or one by your own standards. Good choice.

1:38 AM  
Blogger MValentine said...

I think that this poem by Robert Frost is one of the most read poems. I think that Danny has really good insight on the poem bcause he recognises the metaphor for life in the poem. I think that it is really great how this poem even though it was published before my lifetime is relateable to my life and decisions that I have to make. I think that I will always be able to relate my life to this poem in some way because it has this wonderful timeless sense about it.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Niel said...

I was perusing through the poems to comment on, and I am glad I was able to read this one. I remember reading this poem in grade school, and I think its meaning remains timeless. Although the poem is rather straightforward, I, the reader, am happy for that fact, because it clearly says what I want to hear. In life, staying true to yourself is the best roda that you can travel.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Niel said...

I was perusing through the poems to comment on, and I am glad I was able to read this one. I remember reading this poem in grade school, and I think its meaning remains timeless. Although the poem is rather straightforward, I, the reader, am happy for that fact, because it clearly says what I want to hear. In life, staying true to yourself is the best roda that you can travel.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home