Monday, October 03, 2005

POEMS POEMS #2

a question
by Robert Frost

A voice said, Look me in the stars

And tell me truly, men of earth,

If all the soul-and-body scars

Were not too much to pay for birth.



This poem says a whole lot in very few words. These short, four lines bring out so many thoughts and feelings. I worked as a summer intern at State Farm Insurance where I watched a lot of CNN. Everyday it seemed like either somebody's bombing London or terrorizing parts of southern Thailand or people were missing like that Alabama girl in Aruba. I really like the first line, "Look me in the stars". People say look me "in the eyes", but Frost seems to really bring a higher being into the picture. As you look up into the late, night sky, you can picture your God or Allah (or whoever else you may or may not believe in
) looking down on this wretched world and asking you to sincerely tell him if all the pain is worth it. He further makes that distinction referring to people as "men of earth". The tone of this poem is pretty cynical and negative because it seems like someone is questioning the worthiness of life. Personally for me, I think there is a lot of things to look forward to along with the more unfortunate things. But I think that there's just too much hope to ignore, but that's just me haha.

2 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

You're right. I really like how this poem is so concise yet powerful; short and sweet. It's been said sometimes that there is a twinkle in a person's eye, much as the stars twinkle, and so I really like the 'look me in the stars' part.

11:16 PM  
Blogger brianne fong said...

The poem kind of sounds like some higher being (God) is looking down on men and saying that hurting down on earth with be worth it because you get to live. I agree with danny that the "look me in the stars part" read pretty well.

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home