Sunday, October 02, 2005

Keeping Things Whole

Keeping Things Whole by Mark Strand

In a field
I am the absence
of field.
This is
always the case.
Wherever I am
I am what is missing.

When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole.

Keeping Things Whole by Mark Strand was a poem that I needed to read twice to fully understand, and I am glad I took the time to reread it. I really started to comprehend the poem when the author started to talk about parting the air. Wherever he has been, the air fills in after he has left the space. I think it is an interesting view point to think of at any given time, our bodies create an absence. It puts a different spin on things, the idea of not creating a presence, but rather a gap wherever we are present.
The concluding four lines of the poem give the story line much closure. I do not see the lines as randomly placed, but rather instrumental to how the poem is interpreted. In most stories that I have read people genrally move and leave because they are afraid of their past or they are hiding from something. In this poem, the author leaves not because of any fear, but rather to keep things whole. He does not like the idea of creating a division of the whole, and so continuously moves to leave no interrruptions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home