Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Javan

I found this Javan book today in the bookstore and bought it. He has very close ties to my past, and has effected my writing in many ways. I hadn't read anything he wrote in a long time and was suprised ot find his book in the store. What he writes is so exact. He takes indepth thought processes and puts them on paper in words in the most precise manner. This poem was the first one I read from this book and I couldn't get away from it. After I read one of his poems everything he says is so obviousl true, but it's not something we think about. We never put our minds what going on inside our heads. Javan does this for us.

I speak
Becasue I know my needs
I speak with hesitation
Becasue I know now yours

My Words
Come from my life's experiences
Your understanding
Comes from yours

Because of thie
What I say
And what you hear
May not be the same

So if you will listen carefully
But not with your ears
To what I say
But not with my tongue

Maybe somehow
We can communicate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie Mong said...

I like this poem you posted. It has a lot of meaning in describing language and how language and words have different meanings. In the first stanza it's like when you undesrtand for the first time that there are differences in people you meet. Not everyone believes in the same thing or hears the same thing. It's kinda like how people hear waht they want to hear and not what was really said. This poem talks about concepts that can be debated on for hours and hours. A great poem choice and the way you talk about how it helped you write is great! I enjoy this poem on my own basis because I speak two languages and the direct translation from one to the other is not always the same meaning, so this poem really captures that.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home