Friday, October 21, 2005

Intrusion

After I had cut off my hands
and grown new ones

something my former hands had longed for
cam and asked to be rocked.

After my plucked out eyes
had withered, and new ones grown

something my former eyes had wept for
came asking to be pitied.
-Denise Levertov

The reason why I like this poem is actually because of how many times I read it before I established an opinion about what I think the author is saying. I think the author is talking about growing up as a human, and changing physically, mentally, and emotionally. When the author writes about her hands being cut off, I think she is saying that she is going from playing with dolls to having her own baby. "Something my former hands had longed for cam and asked to be rocked," so when the author was little she longed to have a baby and then she grew up and she had a child. The last two stanzas are about the author as a child crying for someone she saw begging in the street, and then when she grows up that same person is begging her for money.
The aspect that my opinion holds could be completely wrong, but that is why I like this poem. I think there are many different interpretations of this poem that would all be completely believable, and make a good point.

1 Comments:

Blogger Naseem said...

I agree the thing that makes me like this poem is that you have to read it a few times before you can make an opinion. This is definetly one of those poems that can not be taken literally, but one needs to look for the symbolism. I like your analogy of her hands and that she wanted a baby.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home