Saturday, October 08, 2005

I Am Not Yours by Sara Teasdale

I am not yours, not lost in you,
Not lost, although I long to be
Lost as a candle lit at noon,
Lost as a snowflake in the sea.

You love me, and I find you still
A spirit beautiful and bright,
Yet I am I, who long to be
Lost as a light is lost in light.

Oh plunge me deep in love -- put out
My senses, leave me deaf and blind,
Swept by the tempest of your love,
A taper in a rushing wind.


I found this poem while searching google for poems. It is the top classical poem at http://www.emule.com/poetry for a good reason. I believe this poem is about a woman longing to love her lover. From what I can tell, her lover loves her, but for some reason, she does not love him/her back. The poem beautifully describes love, even though the speaker is not feeling love at the time. All that there is, is a longing for that feeling. The speaker's inner conflict is interesting because for whatever reason, she cannot bring herself to love her lover, and is asking her lover to give her that feeling. The second and fourth lines of each stanza rhyme, but the other lines do not. This mimics the feelings of the speaker because only half of the poem rhymes, the same way that the speaker's love only travels in one direction (towards herself, from her lover). There is almost a longing for the other two stanza's to rhyme as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger MValentine said...

I found this poem to be interesting because it is different from a lot of poetry where the characters in it are already in love and are dying or something. I think that it is very unique that the speaker of the poem finds herself wanting to love this person but without much luck. I think that the post has really good insight on the speakers inner conflict, but I was not sure the lines exactly where you were able to decipher that the two were lovers. Good pick on poem!!!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home