Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Heart! We Will Forget Him! by Emily Rose

Heart! We Will Forget Him!
You and I -- tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave--
I will forget the light!

When you have done, pray tell me
That I may straight begin!
Haste! lest while you're lagging
I remember him!

This particular poem is short yet it is very deep and full of emotion. Emily Dickenson as we know was one of America's best poets and we can see that here. The poem is basically about the speaker, a woman, trying to forget about the love she feels for a man or trying to forget a man she loves. The interesting thing is that she speaks to her heart just as one would speak to ourselves. As I see it, she is not literally talking to her heart but, she is doing it inside of her communicating her feelings to it with a lot of emotion. We can see this strong emotion in Dickinson's use of exclamation marks at the end of most of the lines. When she says ‘tonight’ she creates imagery. We imagine a women that every time she tries to go to sleep she cant because she wont stop thinking about her love and feels much pain. My favorite line is when she says to her heart that he will forget the warmth and she will forget the light that her love brought to her. This has deep meaning because she is saying that this love brought light into her life which came into her heart and filled her with that love. It was true love. She goes on to blaming her heart for not forgeting and tells it to hurry because the longer it takes the more she remebers him. So her humorous attitude toward the end hints us that she really doesnt want to forget about her love even though she knows she should.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie Mong said...

I really like how you interpret the meaning of the line where she will forget the light when the other forgets the warmth. I think the speaker is speaking to some else in this poem about the love "he" gave. It seems that this other person the speaker is talking to also loves or loved this man. She says "you may forget the warmth he gave-- I will forget the light!" Then in the second part of the poem, the speaker says that if this person she is talking to doesn't hurry and finish forgetting the man, she will remember him again. Overall I like the way you talk about the humor in the ending lines. I agree with you on that.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Naseem said...

I like that you mentioned that the speaker speaks to her heart as if one would speak to ourselves, i didnt notice it until you said it. I do feel that the imagery in this poem, brought much emotion and shows the reader a glimpse of the speaker at her most vulnerable

4:55 PM  
Blogger Danny said...

I love the idea of the speaker being at war with her heart. The interior monologue really does convey alot of emotion. I like your interpretation of the tone, and how at the end it shows she really can't or doesn't want to forget him. Alot of tension in this poem makes it pretty interesting.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home