Monday, October 17, 2005

Having a Coke with You by Frank O'Hara

Having a Coke with You
By: Frank O'Hara

Having a Coke with you is even more fun than going
to San Sebastian, Irun, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne
or being sick to my stomach on the Travesera de
Gracia in Barcelona partly because in your orange
shirt you look like a better happier St. Sebastian
partly because of my love for you, partly because
of your love for yoghurt partly because of the
fluorescent orange tulips around the birches
partly because of the secrecy of the smiles take
on before people and statuary it is hard to
believe when I'm with you that there can be
anything still.


One of the reasons that I chose this poem was the poet himself, O'Hara. For last weeks blogs I chose the same poet, Why I am not a Painter. I find his writing style fascinating and very contemporary. I am not sure of who the speaker is addressing in this poem but from my interpretation it is someone of dear to the speaker and has great importance. The speaker in this poem, guessing that he/she is referring to a loved one or someone of intrigue. The use of contemporary references like Coke or vivid color description like the orange shirt which is later compared to the tulips. I think that this piece of literature is simple, with many references to popular culture. The speaker in this poem seems to have emotional feels towards the character. That can be seen in the lines of " secrecy of the smiles take on before people" shows a vulerable aspect of the speaker, a weakness which is often a reflection of love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home