Sunday, October 16, 2005

Drops in the Bucket

At first
each drop
makes its
own pock
against the tin.
In time
there is a thin lacquer
which is
layered and
relayered
till there's
a quantity
of water with its
own skin
and sense of purpose,
shocked at
each new violation
of its surface.
-Kay Ryan

I liked this poem because of its clary and simplicity. Although I do enjoy poems that encourage the uncovering of hidden meanings, I also like the idea of a straightforward poem. For this poem, I imagine the author being outside on a rainy day and seeing a bucket slowly being rained on. At first the water entering the bucket makes a rude, "pock" each time, but after some time has passed the bucket will begin to fill with water. The noise will go away, but each time the bucket is striked with water, it causes the water to ripple.
The author put the rippling of the water in an interesting image of, "shocked at each new violation of its surface." For me, I usually see ripples as things that are soothing and calm, but the author interpreting it as a violation is an interesting new way to think about it.
The way the author writes the poem and breaks up the lines truly defines it as a poem. If the poem was written in longer lines that were not broken up, I think the line between prose and poetry would be much closer. Since the poem is short and describing one action, I think it is harder to make the poem sound like a "true" poem without good writing skills.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

This poem is cooler than its title. The way the poem seems to dribble as I read it is really cool. The poem's rythem reflects the effect of "drops in the bucket." I can see and hear the drops as well.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home