Sunday, October 30, 2005

A Cat/A Future by Kay Ryan

A cat can draw
the blinds
behind her eyes
whenever she
decides. Nothing
alters in the stare
itself but she's
not there. Likewise
a future can occlude:
still sitting there,
doing nothing rude.

I chose this poem because I thought it paralleled the poem we analyzed in class and is a good example of line breaks bringing attention to seemingly mundane things. I feel like this poem's tone isn't specific to one feeling. I get serenity, seriousness, neutralness, creepy feelings, but at the same time, peaceful. The line breaks are nice because I feel they are in places where it leaves the reader hanging and creates a lot of tension. This is, oh gosh, I think I forget the term...injambment. I hope I spelled that right. I like how the poem focuses on such a specific thing- a cat's inner eyelids and makes it the attention of her poem. It drew me into how interesting it is that a cat can be staring the same but seeing something completely different. I also like the idea of the cat not being present on the inside while nothing changes on the outside.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael Overton said...

When reading this poem I, too, was reminded of the cat poem we read in class. I dont think the authors intent was to make the poem boring, to me the topic is boring. To others, though, i can see why this would be a very interesting poem. The fact that a cat can search with its eyes all aound whille still staring at one thing, then the refrence to the future in the last part. Its as if the author is making a metaphore of a cats eye to how the future will turn out... you just dont know what its gonna see next.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Danny said...

I thought this poem was interesting, thanks to the way the line breaks add tension to an otherwise pretty slow and simple poem. There is also an interesting element of rhythm to the poem.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

When I saw the word cat, it also reminded me of the poem that we analyzed in class as well. When I read this poem, I feel that the poem's line breaks are at the right areas to create the certain effect and tone that the speaker is trying to do. I like how the poem is so short and it cuts off at certain places that allows the reader to imagine what the cat is doing. I like how the speaker also relates the cat to the future because it brings in a different perspective on things.

10:21 PM  
Blogger MValentine said...

I like how the poem is simple and short, and is able to express an idea in a dircet way. After reading the poem I agree with Lilans analyation of what you feel while reading the poem. I agreee that the pace of the poem leaves this sort of creepy feelings since the lines are so short. I also like the comparison of the cat and future. They are two things that I would not have thought to compare.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home