Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Because You Asked About the Line Between Prose and Poetry

Sparrows were feeding in a freezing drizzle
That while you watched turned into pieces of snow
Riding a gradient invisible
From silver aslant to random, white, and slow.

There came a moment that you couldn't tell
And then they clearly flew instead of fell.

-Howard Nemerov

This poem was written essentially to prove a point as the title reads, Because You Asked About the Line Between Prose and Poetry. The argument and resolution makes me like and dislike the poem. I think the poem is very well written and flows wonderfully. The imagery that the poem contains of the freezing drizzle turning to pieces of snow really gives me a vision in my mind. I think a poem contains above average imagery when you can imagine a picture the poem creates with only having seen it a few times. I have only seen the snow a few time in my life, and the last time being a few years ago. The words make me think of the bitter cold and beauty associated with the snow falling out of the sky. The birds in the poem give it a real sense of life-their eating, flying, and thriving in the winter weather gives me a feeling of an uplifting poem rather than a grim one. I like how in the last couplet, the birds are flying which shows they are really alive in the cold.
The other way I thought of the poem was rather trite. I do not think a published author needs to make the line clear between prose and poetry. If people were to ridicule poetry for being "just" prose, I think it is that person's problem. The author does not need to establish the defining line between the two.

1 Comments:

Blogger SUPERUNDRDAWG said...

haha i like that description u gave about the snow and stuff.. that imagery really does make the birds seem all cold hahah.. and i agree that authors dont need to establish that defining line between prose and poetry.. its their writing right haha.. anywayz see u in class jiggah

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home