Thursday, September 29, 2005

week 1 Post 2

Having a Coke with You

pg. 209

Is even more fun that going to San Sebastian, Irun, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne
Or being sick to my stomach on the Travesera de Gracia in Barcelona
Partly because in your orange shirt you look like a better happier St. Sebastian
Partly because of my love for you, partly because of your love for yoghurt
Partly because of the secrecy our smiles take on before people and statuary
It is hard to believe when I’m with you there can be anything as still
As solemn as unpleasantly definitive as statuary when right in front of it
In the warm New York 4 o’clock light we are drifting back and forth…

This poem really caught my eye, first because of its title and then when I started reading it I couldn’t stop. I don’t really understand what the speaker is trying to say, but I am pretty sure that he is writing to his girlfriend or some sort of a lover. This is a very romantic poem because of the beautiful things that are said to whom ever it is being written to. I like that he doesn’t just come out and say the word “love” over and over. Rather he says the small things that he likes about her or the way he feels when they are together. I like when he says “partly for my love for you, partly because of your love for yoghurt” (210). It adds a sense of comedy to the poem. He also makes a lot of references to different countries that I assume he and his lover have been to together. I think that he loves to travel with her and that’s what he is reminiscing about as he writes her this love poem.

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

First off, I like how you're very honest in saying that you don't really know what the speaker is saying. I enjoy this poem as well because of the different types of ways that the speaker is expressing his "love." To me, this poem is filled with emotions and every word throughout it has its own special meaning.

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home