Thursday, September 29, 2005

POEMS POEMS #1

YOU CANNOT RESTRAIN
by Guia K Monti

You cannot restrain

You cannot oblige my soul

To stay out of this,

You cannot ask me not to feel

Or say there is

Too much feeling.

It's not up to me

To blend the grains of emotion and sanity.

Freedom is all I need

To vent my anguish

Onto the deaf ears

Of a quiet wind.




This poem feels very quiet. I like the soothing and almost eerie mood that it gives. This mood seems to be set by the words like soul, stay, and feeling. These words bring out thoughts and emotions of quietness. Soul is a word that is different and apart from the real world. It is humbling to think about something that we know so little about. Stay is a word that seems to oppose activity and liveliness. Feeling is a word that provokes thought of all the times when we were moved by a set of events. It helps us sit and listen to our memories taking us out of our busy and urgent lives. Furthermore, the way that the lines are separated seems to slow down the reading and hence brings a calmer mood. On top of that, the poem ends with "a quiet wind" which quiets the mood of the poem even more. But at the same time this idea that the poem is quiet kind of puzzles me. I feel like the author is talking about the feelings between lovers (PASSION). Passion is not an idea that is very quiet to me. Passion brings thoughts of crazy risks and lots of actions. It's pretty strange. I kind of like this poem.

3 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

I agree with your analysis of the poem. I like how you analyze many of the words that captivate your eye and stand out to you. It helps that you also bring in your own outlook on it and perspective about the words you chose. I also agree with your understanding and interpretation of the tone throughout the poem.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Lilan said...

I like that you acknowledge the contradictory mood this poem sets you in, how you don't seem to quite make sense of it and acknowledge the mysterious tone this poem carries. I agree with you when you say that this poem is "quiet;" I totally get that feel too.

4:12 PM  
Blogger SUPERUNDRDAWG said...

you guys are so nice hahaha
-steve

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home