Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Poem Entry

Emily Dickinson (1830-86) Complete Poems 1924
Part One: Life
XXVII
I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us--don't tell
They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!

Emily Dickinson is one of my favorite poets and this poem is one of my favorite poems. I can connect with the way the speaker feels about being in public and having to put yourself out there in front of the mercy of society. It was always difficult for me to speak in public and I feel that it is some times it's a hassle to have to be noticed people. I like the quiet solitude sometimes. This poem by Emily Dickinson suggests that she does not like to be in the public eye. In fact, she did not publish most of her works. A relative found her poetry after she had passed away and started publishing them. There is rhythm in her poem and though the endings do not rhyme, because of the way she wrote it, there is a pace to it. The speaker is weary of the public attention and much rather be a "nobody" then to be "somebody" announcing himself or herself to society all the time. She also states that if majority were to find out that there were "nobodies" living among them, then they would be outcasted. The speaker compares being a somebody to being a frog. Frogs usually croak and make a racket in the night. Therefore, to be somebody is like being a frog croaking for attention. The speaker speaks with enthusiasm to the audience and is proud to be a nobody.

2 Comments:

Blogger Naseem said...

I like that you did a little bit of research on Emily Dickson and said something about her shyness and related to yourself and the frog. I also liked that part that you said it is better to be a nobody than a somebody. I would say that sentence would be perfect in describing the poem. The part of the poem that says there is a pair of us, could mean that she feels united with someone and that they both feel the same way.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Michael Overton said...

Good job on catching the themes that Emily was trying to get at, I had trouble myself. And i also like how you tied it with your own life, I am pretty shy as well but i find that its better to have at least two or three people who konw your a somebody than no one at all. i like the analization and in the poem there was a pair of people. the speaker found someone and so should we all.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home